可是
kěshì
Meaning
可是 is a conjunction meaning “but”, “however”. It introduces a contrast between two ideas.
Pattern 1: 虽然……可是……
虽然 A, 可是 B → Although A, B
你怎么又想换工作了,这儿的收入不是挺高的吗?
Why do you want to change jobs again? Isn't the pay here quite good?
虽然收入高,可是经常要加班,很少有时间和家人在一起。
The pay is high, but there's constant overtime — I hardly have any time with my family.
虽然很累,可是我很开心。
I'm tired, but I'm happy.
Pattern 2: Sentence + 可是……
虽然 can be absent: you state one fact and then introduce the contrasting one.
小时候,大家都说我像我妈妈,尤其是性格。
When I was little everyone said I took after my mother — my character especially.
可是长大后,他们说我更像爸爸。
But after I grew up they said I looked more like my father.
我很想去,可是今天没有时间。
I'd really like to go, but I've no time today.
当时她的父母和亲戚都不支持她,可是她坚持自己的选择。
At the time neither her parents nor her relatives backed her, but she stuck to her choice.
可是 vs. 但是 vs. 不过
虽然他很忙,可是他还是来帮我了。
Busy as he was, he still came to help me.
虽然他很忙,但是他还是来帮我了。
Busy as he was, he still came to help me.
Both sentences mean the same — the difference is register alone.
虽然很贵,可是我还是想买。
It's expensive, but I still want to buy it.
我喜欢这辆车,不过太贵了。
I like this car — it's just too expensive.
| 可是 | 但是 | 不过 |
|---|---|---|
| but | but, however | though, only |
| More conversational | Written, more formal | The softest |
| A strong contrast | Neutral | A mild reservation |
Remember:
可是 = but.
虽然……可是…… — Chinese keeps both words (English drops one).
It is among the commonest ways to say “but” in everyday speech.